Throughout my years of full-time employment, I never felt I needed a go-to doctor for anything, also because we have several doctors in the family. When I get sick, I just go to the nearest hospital and let my health card pick the physician I need. But one traumatic visit to a certain gynecologist taught me that I can’t just leave the choice of my ob-gyn to chance or even to my health card.
There’s an unspoken special kind of bond between a gynecologist and a patient. Besides having access to the most intimate part of our body, an obstetrician-gynecologist plays a big role in our wellness–from keeping our reproductive system in the pink of health to guiding us through every stage of pregnancy and delivering a new member of the family. As a bride-to-be, I’m definitely at that stage where I must have a trusted ob-gyn by now; but you don’t need a ring on your finger to start looking for the doctor you can trust with your business down there.
With the help of Jeunesse Anion, I got tips from Dr. Faith Suluen, an ob-gyn, on things to consider when choosing one:
1. Ask your family and friends for referrals. The first step to finding the right ob-gyn is to ask those you trust and get their opinions on how “good” a doctor is. They will also be able to tell you if the doctor is the right fit for your personality.
2. Make sure the clinic is at the most convenient location. When we’re craving something, we make sure we pick the highest-rated restaurant or at least the one that’s easily accessible to us, right? Same goes for choosing a doctor: We have to take into consideration the location of her clinic as well as her hours. And if you’re pregnant, hospital runs will become part of your routine, so consider one in a clinic where driving time, transportation options, and parking space are ideal for you.
3. Know the doctor’s expertise. Your life stage is a vital factor in choosing an ob-gyn. Hire a doctor who’s an expert in your area of concern. Her credentials, years of practice, educational background, and patient relationship must be factored into your decision. Dr. Suluen also advises considering these questions: Does she take the time to explain things clearly and completely? Is she familiar with most recent industry changes? Does she take time to upgrade and update her knowledge and skills? These vital qualifications will help ensure your satisfaction!
4. You must have shared values. When it comes to choosing a health provider, it’s important to consult someone who respects your decisions and is passionate about achieving your health goals. Discussing personal information, pregnancy history, and other intimate details is like sharing your secrets. A doctor you can talk to with ease and sincerely cares about your well-being is a keeper.
5. Choose one you’re comfortable with for your own peace of mind. You want to be able to disclose confidential matters to someone you can trust. Dr. Suluen says, “Besides medical background, a good ob-gyn should also have good communication skills because they act as a counselor or a confidante to their patients most of the time.” The doctor you choose must also have these three Rs: reliable, responsible, and reputable.
Our ob-gyn is one of our most important health care partners in life. While it is not easy to search for one, it’s surely worth all the effort and research. We should never feel sorry for having high standards because choosing whose hands we trust with our life is a basic right.
Besides choosing the perfect ob-gyn, self-care includes choosing the right product for your intimate part. So during your time of the month, you might want to try Jeunesse Anion Sanitary Napkins. Its thin but highly-absorbent pads will keep your period woes at bay. It comes in five variants that address various types of flow. The pads are uniquely designed with a special anion strip that provides several benefits, including eliminating unwanted odors as well as symptoms of cramps and dysmenorrhea.
Jeunesse Anion Sanitary Napkin and Liners are currently available at Watsons, SM Department Store’s Health and Beauty section, selected Mercury Drug and South Star Drug outlets, Robinsons Supermarket and selected department stores, Shopwise, Rustan’s Supermarket, Waltermart, Landmark Department Store, PCX stores, selected Metro Gaisano outlets, and selected stores in Visayas and Mindanao. You can also purchase them online with free delivery via www.lazada.com.ph. For more health tips, visit www.jeunesseanion.com. For inquiries, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (02) 4701294.
Photo courtesy of Wellgold International Inc.