By now, you should already know the many benefits of aloe vera. In brief, aloe vera is great for soothing and healing sunburn, insect bites, minor cuts and scrapes, rashes, eczema, and chicken skin. You can also use it to tame frizzy hair, soothe skin after plucking or waxing, smoothen eyebrows, and so much more.
You can get this great all-around beauty ingredient from Aloe Derma, a natural skin and hair care brand produced by American Global Health Group, LLC (AGHG), in two forms: juice and gel, both of which solve a wide variety of skin and hair problems. Aloe Derma also has a range of hair care products that I’ve also blogged about.
But today, I’m sharing with you how you can create skin and hair remedies at home by combining these Aloe Derma products with other natural ingredients like the following:
1. Organic extra virgin olive oil. Rich in antioxidants, it naturally moisturizes, and adds shine and softness to hair. Click here for other beauty uses of olive oil.
2. Organic coco sugar exfoliates the skin and contains the healing properties present in coconut oil.
I mixed Aloe Gel with coco sugar and olive oil to create a moisturizing sugar scrub. Read on for how to make it.
3. Organic wild honey. Rich in antioxidants and nutrients, it cleanses and nourishes, and has moisture-attracting properties.
4. Rolled oats. Oatmeal reduces irritation and redness while gently removing dead skin cells. It also has natural cleansing agents to remove dirt.
5. Cucumber, which you can add to any face mask, tightens pores, fades freckles, and improves complexion.
6. Lemon. Use this for oily hair or skin as it absorbs oil.
7. Egg. Add a protein-rich egg white to hair mask to strengthen hair.
8. Yogurt. The active cultures in yogurt prevent infection and fight bacteria that cause acne. Use organic yogurt in your face mask.
9. Avocado. This fatty fruit strengthens hair and adds moisture to dry skin.
Caveat: Make sure to conduct a skin patch test with all the ingredients before using them in skin and hair to check for allergies and sensitivities.
Here are some DIY beauty fixes you can concoct at home.
Healing Hair Mask
It nourishes and cleanses hair with honey and aloe, which are rich in antioxidants and nutrients that heal hair and give it a natural shine.
2tsp Aloe Gel
Mix ingredients well. Apply onto wet, clean hair. Leave on for 10 minutes, then rinse in warm water and comb hair normally. If the mixture is too thick and pulls at hair, add more Aloe Gel.
This can last in your fridge for up to three days only. You can also use an Aloe-only mask for dry hair. Avoid using a honey-only hair mask, as the sticky consistency of the honey will pull at your hair.
Soothing Mask for Dry Skin
1tsp Aloe Gel
1 drop olive oil (use for extremely dry skin only)
Mix ingredients well. Spread the paste gently on clean, damp face, and massage in circular motion. Let sit for two minutes and rinse with lukewarm water. Use immediately.
Honey Mask for Oily Skin
Try this if you have acne-prone skin.
1tsp Aloe Gel
Mix ingredients well. Spread evenly onto clean, damp face. Let sit for five to ten minutes, then rinse with lukewarm water. Use immediately.
Moisturizing Sugar Scrub
Made of olive oil and aloe vera that deeply penetrate to nourish, protect, and hydrate skin, use this to exfoliate areas prone to dryness.
1tsp (5ml) extra virgin olive oil
1tsp (5g) Aloe Gel
1tbsp (15g) coco sugar
Here’s how the scrub looked after I mixed ingredients in a shot glass.
Mix all ingredients. Rub in a circular motion onto elbows, lips, knees, and/or feet, then massage gently. Rinse off the scrub with warm water, then rinse the area with cool water. Use immediately.
Aloe Derma Super Hydration Booster is available in Health Express, Cutting Edge, Rustan’s Flower Shop, Urban Ashram Manila, Sugarleaf, Beauty Cocktails in 2F Glorietta 4, Apotheca in Arnaiz Ave., and Lazada.com.ph. Aloe Derma Pure Aloe Vera Gel is available at select Watsons stores nationwide, select Rustan’s Flower Shop branches (in Supermarkets and St. Luke’s), Stoked Inc. and Ripcurl branches, Health Express, Cutting Edge, Sugarleaf, Urban Ashram Manila, Plana Forma BGC, Apotheca in Arnaiz Ave., Beauty Cocktails in 2F Glorietta 4, MPulse in Makati Med, and BeautyMNL.com. Aloe Derma is exclusively distributed in the Philippines by Organic Basket.